I love typing quickly, and I had an idea of controlling a robot through tying terminal commands. I also love vim, and I thought the ability to chain different commands like “left 3 down laser on” would be pretty cool.
What went well
- Mangaged to get the tilemap working without too much trouble.
What went wrong
- Didn’t manage to make a proper game out of the idea.
- I think the scope of the idea was a little too ambitious.
- Didn’t manage to figure out how to disable diagonal movement for pathfinding.
What I learned
- I just thought the idea of rapidly issuing commands in a terminal like manner would be fun. But perhaps for movement it seems a little too convoluted; I’m complicating what could have be achieved with the usual arrow keys.
- I was pretty discouraged by the failure this week. When I watched this video by Raph Koster, he reminded me that when you’re trying to do innovative things, you’ll probably fail quite a lot. Hold on to these failures, and they could serve as a connection to something else in the future and spark off new ideas.
I find myself yearning to start a longer project. To really have time to work on the structure of code, and proper design decisions. GameAWeek so far has been a series of rushed decisions.
I really should focus on smaller ideas. I don’t have much time to flesh out larger ideas in a week, and I end up feeling frustrated with the end result.
Week 9: Application [Game]
Week 8: Application [Game] [Blog]
Week 7: Chocolate [Game] [Blog]
Week 6: Combat [Game] [Blog]
Week 5: Plod! [Game] [Blog]
Week 4: Repel [Game] [Blog]
Week 3: Chests [Game] [Blog]
Week 2: Smaller Than Infinity [Game] [Blog]
Week 1: Wrapped In Space [Game] [Blog]